Trying to find the right preschool or kindergarten for your little one in Singapore can be a daunting task – not only are there a plethora of choices, but there is also a wide range of costs. This guide will help you understand the different types of preschools and kindergartens available, as well as the average costs associated with each.
With this information in hand, you will undoubtedly pick the best educational option for your child.
Tl;dr: Cheapest Preschool and Kindergarten in Singapore
- PCF Sparkletots Pre-school (PAP schools) are the least expensive of the bunch, with just $160 for the half-day (7 am to 1 pm) and $360 for the whole day (7 am to 7 pm).
- The second contender is Skool4kidz, which costs $385 for the half-day and $770 for the entire day.
- EtonHouse Schools offer the most expensive programmes. The half-day at pre-nursery costs $5,653.20, and the full-day reaches a whopping $6,370.25. There’s no half-day at kindergarten for ages 3-6 years. These kids have to stay the entire day for $6,016.35/month.
- The middle price range is $1,200-$2,000/month. These schools offer good preschool and kindergarten education for your little ones, but at a reduced cost compared to Eton. Also, your children will likely get more one-on-one attention and educational materials compared to the PAP schools.
Also, take heart in knowing that you won’t have to pay these costs for long. School will be free once your kid jumps into first grade – apart from books, clothes, and gadgets, of course.
|Institution||Pre Nursery (Playgroup)||Nursery and Kindergarten|
|Half Day||Full Day||Half Day||Full Day|
|my first skool||–||$770.40||–||$770|
|Between Two Trees||$1,369||$1,979||$1,369||$1,979|
|My Little Skool||$1,551||$1,979||$1,551||$1,979|
|PCF Sparkletots Pre-school||$160||$386||$160||$386|
The Pre Nursery (Toddler) Programme
Before going to kindergarten, you may enrol your little one in a pre-nursery programme. Otherwise, you’ll have to consider hiring a nanny or household helper if both parents are working.
Or you can just ask your mom to take the little one and embed those generational traumas directly.
The pre-nursery programme at PAP Schools is the most accessible, with just $386/month for the entire day. Your little one will be in great hands and learn the basics of socialising.
If you want your kid to benefit from more attention and education, you can choose a more expensive option. However, many parents prefer to save their money, at least until their LO gets to kindergarten.
Here are the programmes you’ll want to consider according to your baby’s age:
- Pre-nursery (aka playgroup): 18-24 months
- Nursery 1: 2-3 years old
- Nursery 2-kindergarten: 4-6 years old
Let’s face it; you may not have a few hundreds or thousands of dollars each month to pay for your child’s kindergarten. Luckily, the government understood this was a poignant issue for many Singaporean families and established specific subsidies that have been rolling out since January 2020.
Great idea, government; that way, moms can work too.
Still, free money is free money as long as your kid goes to a MOE or Anchor Operators kindergarten/preschool. These institutions require a $770 fee each month.
Here’s what you can receive
- A basic subsidy of $300 for each family, regardless of your household income
- A maximum additional subsidy cap of $467 if the household income is $3,000 tops. The maximum income per family member should be $750 to get this subsidy.
- The minimum co-payment required is $3 if you earn a maximum of $3,000/month.
Here’s the table that explains everything:
|Household Income||Income per Family Member||Basic Subsidy||Max Additional Subsidy Cap||Minimum Co-payment Required of parent|
|$3,000 and below||$750 and below||$300||$467||$3|
|$3,001 to $4,500||$751 to $1,125||$440||$30|
|$4,501 to $6,000||$1,126 to $1,500||$340||$130|
|$6,001 to $7,500||$1,501 to $1,875||$260||$210|
|$7,501 to $9,000||$1,876 to $2,250||$190||$280|
|$9,001 to $10,500||$2,251 to $2,625||$130||$340|
|$10,501 to $12,000||$2,626 to $3,000||$80||$390|
|Above $12,000||Above $3,000||NA|
So, if your income is in the lowest range, the government will subsidise $767 from your kindergarten cost, and you only have to pay $3/month. If you’re in the highest income range, you will receive a $300 subsidy, having to fork out the rest of the $470.
That’s a good deal, especially if you have several small kids.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Your Kindergarten
You should consider several variables to choose the best kindergarten for your child:
- Location: Choose a conveniently located kindergarten, close to your home or workplace.
- Size: The size of the kindergarten is also an essential factor to consider. Luckily, all kindergartens have to respect the teacher-to-child ratio established by the ECDA:
- Playgroup: 1:8
- Nursery 1: 1:12
- Nursery 2: 1-15
- Kindergarten 1: 1:20
- Kindergarten 2: 1:25
- Curriculum: You need a kindergarten that offers a challenging and stimulating curriculum for your child. Young children need plenty of free play, but they also need rules and methods to thrive. Research all the activities and make sure they develop the right skills, without becoming too overwhelming.
- Teachers: Qualified and experienced teachers are essential. You also want to ensure the staff is caring and nurturing, especially with younger kids.
- Environment: Ensure your child’s kindergarten has a safe and secure environment. Also, make sure the school’s principles regarding the children’s environment fit your values. For example, Montessori schools promote independence from an early age.
- Cost: Consider the cost of kindergarten when making your decision. You will want to choose an affordable kindergarten without compromising educational quality.
Best Kindergartens in Singapore
Now that you’ve seen the prices you can expect, let’s find the right kindergarten for your child, starting with the most expensive in this review:
EtonHouse Education Group
With over 120 schools in 12 countries, the EtonHouse Education Group has a global reach. To ensure that their programmes are of the highest quality, they have established a separate group of teacher trainers.
This team provides on-the-job training, professional courses, workshops and conferences to enhance the quality of programmes in the schools. In addition, they conduct research projects to develop new and innovative teaching methods.
As a result of their efforts, the EtonHouse Education Group can provide an excellent education to students worldwide.
MindChamps is in the middle price range, costing you $1,765 for the half-day at kindergarten and $1,965 for the whole day.
MindChamps was founded almost twenty years ago, basing its education principles on three pillars that cultivate the:
- Learning Mind
- Creative Mind
- Champion Mind
This kindergarten strives to hone the kids’ creativity and problem-solving skills. Ultimately, the goal of the MindChamps programme is to produce confident and well-rounded individuals who can excel in all aspects of their lives.
Skool4Kidz is the second least expensive kindergarten in this review, winning the silver medal after the PAP kindergartens. That doesn’t mean your child won’t fully tap into their potential at this kindergarten.
Skool4kidz is more than just childcare.
It’s an anchor operator that emphasises the holistic development of a child through professionally qualified teachers. The impressive flagship campus at Sengkang Riverside Park was designed in collaboration with ECDA and the National Parks Board, being the first childcare of this size located in a public park.
And it’s not just the location that makes Skool4kidz special.
The team has also devised a unique curriculum that helps children excel in all areas of development.
PCF Sparkletots Pre-school (PAP Kindergarten)
Sparkletots is Singapore’s preschool of choice for many families, and not just because it’s the least expensive option.
Established in 1986, this kindergarten has a long history of providing quality kindergarten and infant care services. As an anchor operator, they receive government subsidies to ensure that their services are affordable for all families in Singapore.
They’re also the largest preschool operator in Singapore, meaning they have the experience and resources to provide the best possible care for your child. With their experienced and passionate teachers, your child will develop a love for learning that will stay with them for life.
Raffles Kidz International
It’s no surprise that Raffles Kidz is one of the most popular preschools in Singapore. Focusing on academics and outdoor play, they offer everything that parents could want for their children.
The bilingual program is top-notch, and the infant care and kindergarten facilities are top-of-the-line.
The staff are highly motivated and passionate about their work, and they are committed to providing the best possible experience for every child. With a strong emphasis on teamwork, the Montessori method, and the immersion experience, Raffles Kidz is the perfect place for your child to learn and grow.
In Singapore, kindergarten is an important (and expensive) step in your child’s education. A good kindergarten will set your child up for success in school and beyond. Your child also needs educational toys, books, and clothes.
So how can you afford all that?
Lending Bee has got you covered with affordable loans. We understand that the cost of living in Singapore is high, so we offer loans with low interest rates and flexible repayment terms.
You can use our loan calculator to see how much you can borrow and what your monthly repayments will be. So don’t compromise on your child’s education – let Lending Bee help you afford the best.